Saturday, May 5, 2012

Taco Carnitas

I was looking through some websites while I was trying to plan another meal to make in honor of Cinco de Mayo.  I came across Mexican Tacos Carnitas and they looked amazing!! I did have some blonde moments while I was making these but they still turned out really good! You live and you learn, right?! :)
Ingredients:
1 Jalapeno
2 Garlic Cloves
1 teaspoon Oregano
1/2 teaspoon Black Pepper
1/2 teaspoon Salt
1 lb Pork Shoulder Roast
2 Onions
1 can Fat Free Chicken Broth
1 cup Orange Juice
1 tablespoon Honey
1 bunch Cilantro
1 bunch Green Onion
12 Tortillas
I am always afraid of making a dish way too spicy and I've been told that the spice is mainly in the seeds when it comes to jalapenos.  So I took the coward way out and chopped it up and took out all of the seeds.
In a mixing bowl combind the jalapeno, two tablespoons chopped cilantro, chopped garlic, oregano, 1/4 cup orange juice, pepper and salt.  You are supposed to use one teaspoon orange zest but I didn't like the orange I had at home and I thought the juice would do the trick.  It was kind of pointless as juice because you pour 3/4 cup of juice over it later anyways.
Cover both sides of the meat with this mixture.
Then place the meat into the slow cooker and cover it with the remaining spice mixture.
Quarter the two onions and lay them on top of the meat.  I loosely broke them apart when I was doing this.
Rinse out your mixing bowl and then whisk together the rest of the orange juice, chicken broth and honey.
Evenly pour this mixture over the onions.
I cooked this on low for 11 hours and it didn't sit on warm at all.  I think this is the first time I've ever gotten home and my meal wasn't ready yet.
Take the meat and onions out of the slow cooker and place them in a mixing bowl.  Use two forks to gently pull it all apart and mix it together.
Chop up the rest of the cilantro and green onion. Then you are ready to make your tacos!
This is where I realized I had a major blonde moment.  I bought soft tortillas instead of corn taco shells.  I still went ahead and warmed them up and made the tacos though.  I loved the meat!  It was soooo good! 


Nutritional Info: Meat mixture only
Six Servings (2 tacos)
WW Points Plus: 5
Calories: 210
Fat: 10
Carbs: 14
Protein: 21

No comments:

Post a Comment