Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Roasted Tomatoes

I made a couple dishes for our Mother's Day party.  I was on the last day of the GM diet.  So I was searching for fruit and veggie recipes.  I loved how fancy this side dish was.

Ingredients: (Serves 4)
2 Large Firm Underripe Tomatoes
1 Tbsp Balsamic Vinegar
2 tsp Olive Oil
2 Cloves of Garlic, minced
1 tsp Dried Basil
1/2 tsp Dried Oregano
1/4 tsp Dried Rosemary
1/8 tsp Salt
3/4c Coarse Whole Wheat Bread Crumbs
2 Tbsp Grated Parmesan Cheese

I doubled the recipe since I was feeding a large family party.  I also used regular bread crumbs since I couldn't find whole wheat bread crumbs at Kroger.

 
Mix the vinegar, olive oil, garlic, basil, oregano, rosemary, and salt in a separate bowl.


Halve the tomatoes and add to the slow cooker with the cut sides facing up.  Spoon the mixture over the tomatoes.  Cover and cook on low for 2 hours or high for 1 hour.


Cook the bread crumbs in a skillet over medium-heat until they are lightly browned, about 2-3 minutes.


Remove the bread crumbs, mix with Parmesan, and set aside.


Drizzle cooking liquid evenly over the tomatoes.  Sprinkle with the bread crumb mixture and let stand for 10 minutes.


Dinner is served.


I probably could have used a little less breadcrumbs.  I think that would have made it look better and absorb the juices better.  I would make this recipe again.  It's a really tasty and classy way to eat your veggies.

Nutritional Info: (1 tomato half)
96 Calories
4g Fat
3g Fiber
3g Protein
13g Carbs

Recipe found in Better Homes and Garden Diabetic Slow Cooker magazine

No comments:

Post a Comment