Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Chicken and Eggplant Parmesan

I've been exploring my new obsession with Eggplant for a while now.  This recipe was the best Eggplant meal by far!! I can't wait to make it for a dinner party...

Ingredients:
1 lb Boneless Chicken
1 cup Breadcrumbs
Salt and Pepper
2 Eggs
1/2 cup Olive Oil
1 large Eggplant
2 Zucchini's
8 oz Sliced Mushrooms
1 1/2 cup Grated Parmesan Cheese
29 oz can Tomato Sauce
2 cups Mozzarella Cheese
I didn't end up using the Onion or the Butter
You want to begin by battering and frying the chicken.  While you are waiting for the olive oil to heat up you can break both of the eggs and beat them in a bowl and mix the breadcrumbs with about a teaspoon of salt and pepper.  Dip both sides of the chicken in the eggs and then the breadcrumbs and place them in the frying pan.  Cook both sides until they are golden brown.  I didn't worry about the center being cooked because they would be cooking all day in the slow cooker.
After these were finished I took them out and put them on paper towels to try to soak up the extra oil.  Then you can begin your layering.  First make sure to spray your slow cooker with lots of Pam!  Cover the bottom of the Crock with half of the sliced eggplant, zucchini and mushrooms.  Then cover it all with 3/4 cup of parmesan cheese.
Try to cover all of the parmesan cheese with half of the can of tomato sauce.  (This would have been a good time to sprinkle on some Basil if I would have remembered)  Now you can add all of the chicken evenly on top of the sauce.
Repeat the first layer again.
Before I left for work I set this in the slow cooker on low for 6.5 hours and then it was on warm for 3.5 hours.
Cover this with mozzarella cheese and put it in the oven on broil for about 5 minutes.
I loved everything about this meal!! I hope you all enjoy it as well! :)

1 comment: