Thursday, November 3, 2011

Mashed Potatoes (Thanksgiving Trial #1)

My friends and I take turns hosting a monthly "Girls Night In".  Since this was the November edition we decided to have an early Thanksgiving.  I wanted to try making Mashed Potatoes in the Crock since they turned out so good with my Meatloaf.  I also love garlic so I added a lot of it to the mix! :)  My mom always makes mashed potatoes with red skins and keeps the skin on them and I love them!

First gather all of your ingredients:
4 lbs Red Skin Potatoes
1/2 c Butter
1/2 c Water
1/2 c Milk (I think I used a little more than that)
Garlic
Pepper
I didn't actually use the salt.
Place all of the potatoes in the bottom of the Slow Cooker.  I sliced the large ones in half so that they would all cook in the same amount of time.  Then pour the water over them and cover them with slices of butter.  Next I kind of went to town with the Garlic but use your own judgement.  I probably put at the very least a tablespoon on them and sprinkled the pepper on too.  You also have to remember that the spices simmer down as it cooks. 
I set this when I went to bed for 8.5 hours so that it would be ready to take along to work with me  This way I could go straight to the party after work.  When I woke up my entire house smelled like garlic goodness! :)
They mashed really easily and then I realized I didn't have a mixer so I added the milk and tried to mix it by hand.  I tested them and they tasted really good but they were thick.
I moved them to a bowl so they would be more presentable and easier to take to the party.
I think they would have been a lot better if I had served them right here.  I took them to work and refrigerated them all day.  Then when I got to my cousin's house I heated them up for a while in the microwave and added about another 1/2c of milk.  She had a mixer so I was able to make them smoother.  I normally like them still a little chunky...
Everyone said they were great!  They didn't look as yellow as the pictures are making them out to be... they just had a slight tint.  We had so much food... It was a great pregame to Thanksgiving!
I didn't do the nutritional info because this is a holiday dish which automatically makes it calorie free.. Right? lol

No comments:

Post a Comment