Saturday, November 5, 2011

Mediterranean Vegetable Soup

Lately I have been loving Mediterranean food! So I thought I would try to make a super healthy soup that would be filling and pretty much point free... It may need a little work in the future!

Ingredients:
2 lb Mini Yellow Potatoes
1 large Onion
1 large Eggplant
1 Green Pepper
1 Red Pepper
3 Zucchini
3 Garlic Cloves
1 qt Stewed Tomatoes
Salt
Basil
Thyme
Cumin

I didn't end up using the Olive Oil or Oregano
Start by placing all of the potatoes in the bottom of the slow cooker.  Chop up the onion and spread it out on top of the potatoes with the minced garlic.  Next peel and cube the Eggplant and sprinkled it over the onions and then top this with the sliced up Peppers.  Cut the Zucchini's into about 1" pieces and place them on top.  Finish it off by pouring the Stewed Tomatoes on top.  I read that it would add more flavor if you sprinkled salt on each layer.  You can also randomly add in the Thyme and Basil.
Of course I made this the night before and stored it in my fridge until morning.  I set it for 7.5 hours but I don't think it needed that long.  It was also on warm for about 3.5 hours.  The house did smell amazing when I walked in the door!
My friend came over to try it with me, but I wasn't that impressed with it.  I kept asking her if she wanted me to order pizza instead but she said that she liked it.  It was pretty bland and tasted like watered down vegetables.  I was pretty bummed because I was really looking forward to it all day. I definitely did not add enough seasoning to it.  We sprinkled some salt and cumin on it to add some flavor.  Next time I think I will definitely add salt to each layer and a lot more garlic and cumin.  I think sausage would be a great addition as well.

Servings: 6

Points Plus: 3

No comments:

Post a Comment