Saturday, June 16, 2012

Red Beans and Spanish Rice

I was looking for something new to try with Pork since I rarely cook with it.  This one was pretty easy and came out really well!  This recipe takes a little more prep work than normal but it is worth it!
Ingredients:
2 cups Dry Red Beans
5 cups Water
Cooking Spray
1 lb Pork Shoulder
2 Onions
6 Garlic Cloves
1 T Cumin
4 cups of water
2 boxes Spanish Rice (called for water, diced tomatoes and butter)

First you want to begin by rinsing the red beans in a strainer.  Then add them to a pot with five cups of water. 

Bring the water to a boil and then leave it on simmer for 10 minutes. After this I let them soak for two hours and drained them. They probably only needed one hour but I had to go and run some errands.
While I was waiting for the water to boil I began cooking the pork.  Spray a frying pan with olive oil Pam and place the cubed pork in it.  I cooked the meat until it looked browned but didn't worry about cooking it all the way through since it would be in the slow cooker for so long.
I began chopping up the onion and garlic while I waited for the meat to brown.
After this is done you can add the beans, pork, water and cumin to the slow cooker and mix it together.
I cooked this on low for 11 hours.
Now all you have to do is prepare your Spanish Rice according to the directions on the box.  I didn't realize it had so many steps when I bought it.  I sauteed the rice and seasonings in olive oil and then added stewed tomatoes and water and let it simmer for 20 minutes after it was brought to a boil.
Place the rice on your plate and then top it with the bean mixture.
This meal was so good!  The rice and bean mixture complimented each other so well.

Nutritional Info: (Bean Mixture Only)
7 Servings
Calories: 252
Fat: 7g
Carbs: 31
Protein: 29

No comments:

Post a Comment