Thursday, October 20, 2011

Meatloaf and Potatoes

I've been seeing people post about making Meatloaf in their Slow Cookers and I was kind of skeptical so I decided to try it.  I looked up a healthier recipe than what I was used to having.  It turned out quite watery and fell apart.  It did taste great though!  I'm going to have to tweak it next time to get it to stay together more.  I also added a bag of frozen veggies which made it a bigger serving without adding the calories.  Next time I think I will buy fresh Mushrooms, Broccolli and Cauliflower and chop them in the food processor to give it a better texture.

Ingredients:
2 lb Lean Ground Beef
4 Slices Light Bread
1 Medium Onion
1 Bag Frozen Veggies
1 Can Tomato Sauce
1 Tablespoon Parsley
1 Tablespoon Splenda
2 Teaspoons Mustard

Mix the ground beef, shredded bread, chopped onion and veggies, mustard and half of the can of tomato sauce together in a bowl.
Form a ball / loaf out of the mixture and place it into the Slow Cooker.  Next mix together the rest of the Tomato Sauce, Splenda and Parsley and pour it over the meatloaf.
I decided I wanted to try potatoes with it too.  So I wrapped four potatoes in foil and placed them on top to see what would happen.  I put this in the fridge overnight so I could start it as I was walking out the door in the morning.

I cooked this on low for 9.5 hours and then let it sit on warm for an hour.  The house smelled pretty amazing when I got home and all I had to do was warm up some veggies to go with it! :) That's my kind of dinner!
It didn't really keep the shape of a meatloaf.  I think this is because the recipe didn't call for an egg.  It also pretty much crumbled when I cut it up.
This made 8 Servings.. The potatoes turned out yellow but they were really good after cooking for long.  It made them taste kind of sweet.

No comments:

Post a Comment