Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Steel Oats with Applesauce and Craisins

Lately I have been having Quaker Oatmeal Variety Packs for breakfast.  I always feel like they are full of sugar and that they can't possibly be that healthy.  I heard some people talking about Steel Cut Oat in the Slow Cooker and I thought I would give them a try.  They are supposed to be less processed and higher in fiber than the basic rolled oats.  This was so easy to do and since I cooked them during the day I got home from work yesterday and my kitchen smelled amazing!  I divided the batch into 6 containers so I could grab them before work everyday and not have to worry about portioning them out.

Ingredients:
1 1/2 c Steel Cut Oats
6 c Water
1 pint applesauce (we can our own)
3/4 c Craisins
1 teaspoon Cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon All Spice

First gather all of your ingredients:
Mix everything together in the Slow Cooker.  This was so simple I actually did it before I left the house for work instead of the night before.
It wasn't really a recipe that takes a good picture before cooking.  I set it on low for nine hours and then it switched to warm for two and a half more hours.  When I first looked at it I thought it had turned out bad because it was still watery.
I stirred it and let it set for about 20 minutes and it started to look like normal Oatmeal!
I had it for breakfast this morning and I still feel pretty full! I may start doing this at the beginning of every week and just start adding different flavors to keep it interesting!

Servings: 6
5 Points Plus

I'm still not sure what kind of tool I can use to calculate the normal Nutritional Information.

6 comments:

  1. nutritional information is over rated, just cook enjoy eat love... new movie title?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for putting in the PointsPlus. I've loved all your recipes that I've tried so far. I can't wait to make this tonight. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I thought this oatmeal was delicious. I loved waking up to the aroma this morning.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I had it for breakfast this morning too! I just added a packet of Equal to make it a little sweeter..

    ReplyDelete