Friday, December 16, 2011

Chicken Pot Pie

The other day when we were out to dinner Jessica and my parents were talking about how much they loved Pot Pies.  I hadn't had one in forever and I normally try to stay away from them because the frozen ones are so bad for you.  I figured making it at home would be a lot healthier!  I found a recipe on the Crock Pot Guys website and decided to try it out.  I made a few adjustments when I made it..

Ingredients:
1 lb Boneless Chicken, cubes
3 large Potatoes, small cubes
3 cups Baby Carrots, quartered
1 1/2 cups Frozen Peas
1 cup Frozen Corn
8 oz Sliced Mushrooms, chopped
3 cloves Garlic, finely chopped
2 tablespoons dried Onion (I forgot I used my onion in the Hawaiian Chicken)
2 cans Cream of Chicken
3 cups Flour
3 teaspoons Baking Powder
1 teaspoon Salt
1/4 cup Butter
3/4 cup Milk
Chop all of the vegetables into little cubes and mix them together in the slow cooker.
Next I had taken my chicken right out of the freezer so I had to defrost it for a couple minutes.  While it was still mostly frozen I cut it into little cubes and then covered the vegetables with it.
After the chopping is complete cover the mixture with the cans of condensed soup and it is ready to start crocking.
Before I left for work I set this on low for seven hours and then it sat on warm for two and a half hours.
This looked so good I was ready to eat as is! lol Spray a 13x9 baking pan and spoon the vegetables and chicken into the pan.  Try to mix everything together as you do this.

Sorry this one is so blurry.
Heat the oven to 425 while you work on the next step, which is a little more tricky.  I didn't realize this recipe called for a rolling pin, but I made due without it.  Add the flour, baking powder and salt in a mixing bowl and stir them together.  Next cut the butter in until it looks like it is evenly spread throughout.  Pour all of the milk in and mix it all together.  I had to start using my hands because it got so thick.  Since I didn't have a rolling a pan I used my fist in the bowl and tried to flatten it out as much as possible.  Then I held it up in the air and stretched it out as much as I could.  Lay this on top of the mixture.  The recipe said to brush melted butter over top the dough, but I forgot about this step and it turned out fine.
I baked this at 425 for 22 minutes.  This was just enough time for me to boil some noodles to go with it!
I let it cool for a few minutes and then sliced it into eight servings.
My mom always served the frozen pot pies over noodles.  I don't think this really needed them because the top crust was thicker than normal.  I loved it!!

No comments:

Post a Comment