Tuesday, December 13, 2011

Lentil and Ham Soup

Last night my friends had a Girls Night for a Christmas dinner. I thought a soup would go perfectly with appetizers, salad, lasagna, and Christmas cookies.

Ingredients: (Serves 8)
1c Onions
3 Cloves of Garlic
6c Fat-free Chicken Broth
1c Dried Lentils
1/2c Carrots
2 Bay Leaves
3c Swiss Chard
1 1/2c Potatoes
1c Ham
14 1/2oz Can Diced Tomatoes
1t Dried Basil
1/2t Dried Thyme
1/2t Black Pepper
3T Fresh Parsley, chopped


If you don't have a lot of time in the morning before work, I suggest chopping all of the veggies the night before. That was the only time consuming part of the recipe.

Chop the carrots and onions

Chop the Swiss chard

Chop the potatoes. I chose use red skin potatoes and to leave the skins on, and it worked out perfectly.

Chop the ham. It called for 1 cup. I had a lot of ham leftover from when I made ham last week. I ended up using almost 4 cups. It was nice and thick ;)

Combine all ingredients except fresh parsley in the slow cooker.

Cover and cook on low 7-9 hours.

Stir in fresh parsley and served. Honestly, I forgot to add the parsley, but the soup was still good without it. Also, sorry about the off-center photo... It may have to do with the wine I was enjoying with the girls before dinner was served. ;)


The girls loved the soup! And it was healthy! I would call that a success. :)

Nutrition:
200 Calories
3.5g Fat
25g Carbs
10g Fiber
17g Protein
4 WW PointsPlus

Recipe from Fix-It and Forget-It Lightly

No comments:

Post a Comment