Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Refried Beans

Yesterday I made one of the easiest slow cooker meals and one of my absolute favorites!! You just mix the ingredients together and let it cook.
Cumin, Garlic, Salt, Pepper, Pinto Beans, Jalapeno and onions
Measure out and rinse three cups of the pinto beans and put them in the Slow Cooker.  Then remove the seeds from the Jalapeno and chop it up along with the onions.  The first time I tried this I bought the little jar of canned green chilies and put the whole thing in the slow cooker.  This was not a good idea at all.  My refried beans were soooo spicy I had to mix them with cottage cheese just to be able to handle them in my burrito! lol Then add the spices and nine cups of water.
All mixed up and ready to go!

I normally mix everything together the night before so that the beans have more time to soak in the water overnight.  Then in the morning I put it in my slow cooker on my way out the door and let it cook for 9 hours.  I believe it only needs 7-8 though.
All finished cooking
The house smelled so good when I got home from work!  Next, you need to drain everything into a bowl and mash up the mixture with a potato masher.  Add as much of the liquid back in as your see fit.  I thought mine was all good without any extra liquid until I looked at it a few hours later.  It was really drying up so I mixed in some water and it was fine later.
I had some friends come over for dinner that night so I sauteed some peppers with onions and we all made Bean Burritos.  We also had it with a side of Rice-a-roni.  Everyone seemed to enjoy their dinner! :) I could probably go through a batch of this every other week but I do love refried beans...

Ingredients:
3 cups Dry Pinto Beans, drained
2 small Onions, or one large
1 Jalapeno
2 Tablespoons Garlic, minced
5 Teaspoons Salt
1 3/4 Teaspoon Pepper
1/8 Teaspoon Cumin
9 cups Water

About 15 Servings
WW Points: 3
Calories: 139
Fat: 0.5 g
Cholesterol: 0 mg
Sodium: 785 mg
Carbs: 25.4 g
Fiber: 6.2 g
Protein: 8.5 g

Originally found on AllRecipes.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment