Thursday, September 8, 2011

Salsa Chicken

This is my first Blog post and I'm so excited for it!! Just a little heads up I am doing this to gain more experience with my Crockpot... I am not an experienced Crocker by any means... So we are going to roll with the punches and learn from our mistakes here.

Last week I was planning to attend a friend's BBQ and thought I would make some salsa with the tomatos that had just turned red in my garden.  When I couldn't figure out how to get my food processor to work I turned to my blender which has worked in the past.  In the excitement of making the salsa I accidentally pressed the liquify button instead of the pulse button.  Needless to say I created more of a salsa juice and had to run to Kroger and buy Salsa instead.  When planning for the week I decided to make use of my Salsa juice and make Salsa Chicken... This is how it went:

Three Tomatos, Half of an Onion and a little bit of Cilantro


Salsa Juice

The Salsa Chicken is very easy to make (like most Crockpot recipes), but I quickly discovered that I did not have any taco seasoning.  So I mixed together a little batch of my own...

Cumin, Onion Powder, Garlic Powder, Cornstarch, Salt, Chili Powder and Red Pepper

Homemade Taco Seasoning

Tuesday morning before work I put eight Chicken Tenderloins in the Crockpot and covered them with the Taco Seasoning.  I should have either added more chicken or less Taco Seasoning because it had a lot more spice that I prefer.

Chicken and Taco Seasoning

I then mixed a can of Cream of Chicken soup with the Salsa and spread it over the chicken.  After that I poured a can of Corn on top.
The beginning of the Crockpot meal.
I let this cook on low from 7:30 - 4:30 even though it probably only needs about 7 hours.  When I arrived home from work my house smelled so delicious!!!
This is what I found!! :)
Mix in 1/2 cup of Sour Cream and it is finished.  I added a little extra Sour Cream because it was too spicy for me.
I would definitely make this again with a little less Taco Seasoning...

Salsa:
Three Tomatos
1/2 Onion
Small handful of Celantro
Blend everything together

Taco Seasoning:
*You can change the amounts depending on how much spice you like*
1 Tablespoon Onion
2 Teaspoons Chili Powder
1 1/2 Teaspoons Salt
1 Teaspoon Garlic Powder
1 Teaspoon Cornstarch
1 Teaspoon Ground Cumin
1/2 Teaspoon Red Pepper
Mix it all together

Enjoy! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment