Thursday, September 8, 2011

Split Pea Soup

Hi everyone! This is my first crockpot recipe post. :) I'm excited to show you guys all of the recipes I try out in my crockpot!

It's starting to get colder here in Michigan. So I figured it is a perfect time to make some soup. Split Pea is my favorite! :D

Ingredients:
16oz Dried Split Peas
10oz Canadian Bacon
1 Onion, chopped
2 Carrots, chopped
3 Sprigs Fresh Thyme, stemmed
1t Kosher Salt
1/2t Black Pepper
7c Water




The night before, I soaked the dried peas in a bowl of water. This was the first time I have ever soaked dried peas. When I poured the peas into the bowl, there was only about an inch of space below the rim. When I wokeup the next morning, the peas were overflowing and there was no water left. Learn from my experience and use a large bowl with a lot of water.


Drain the peas before adding them to the crockpot




Chop the Canadian bacon.




Add all of the ingredients to the slow cooker


Cover and cook on Low for 10-12 hours or High for 5-6 hours


This is what I came home to after a long day at work.




Dinner is served! The soup tasted great!



Serves 6-8

Nutritional Info (per serving if split into 6 meals):
Calories - 188
Fat - 1
Protein - 19
Carbs - 41

No comments:

Post a Comment