Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Chicken Tortilla Soup

I've always heard so many great things about Chicken Tortilla Soup but I've never tried it.  I decided it would be a great healthy dish to start off the new year!

Ingredients:
1 1/2 lbs boneless skinless chicken breasts
15 oz stewed tomatoes
10 oz enchilada sauce (red)
1 onion, chopped
4 oz chopped green chilies
2 clove garlic, finely chopped
2 cups water
1 can fat-free chicken broth
1 teaspoon cumin
1 teaspoon chili powder
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
1 whole bay leaf
1 cup frozen corn
6 hard taco shells
cilantro, chopped
Spray a frying pan with Pam and cook the chicken completely.  Once this is done you will be able to shred it with a fork.
While this was cooking I chopped the onion and garlic and added all of the other ingredients to the slow cooker, except for the taco shells and cilantro.  After the chicken is shredded it can be added to slow cooker.  This was all done the day before so I could wake up and just set it to cook.
I set the slow cooker on low for seven hours and then warm for an hour.  When my friend arrived for dinner I realized I had a big blonde moment when grocery shopping.  I had been told to buy corn tortilla's to cut into strips and bake before adding them to the soup.  I bought hard shell tacos instead and couldn't figure out how I was going to cut them into strips without them crumbling.  We decided it would be the same if we just baked the tacos and crumbled them into the soup.
While these are baking you can chop up the cilantro to sprinkle on top of the soup.
The soup was really good except for how spicy it turned out.  Neither of us are big fans of spicy food so it was a little tough for us to handle.  We had to add a spoonfull of sour cream to calm it down a little.  I'm pretty sure this is because I bought the chopped green chilies.  I normally add the crushed green chilies to my white chicken chili and there isn't a problem.  Next time I will only add half of a can (if that)!!
Nutritional Info
6 Servings (Not including the Sour Cream)
Points Plus: 8
Calories: 233
Carbs: 20g
Fat: 5g
Protein: 25g

No comments:

Post a Comment