Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Vegetable Stew with Cornmeal Dumplings

This was one of my favorite receipes when I gave up meat last lent.  It didn't turn out quite how I remember it last night but it was still good.

Ingredients:
Stew
1 Acorn Squash
2 Packages Fresh Mushrooms
4 Cloves Garlic
1 Pint Stewed Tomatoes
1 Can Great Northern Beans
1 Cup Water
1 Teaspoon Italian Seasoning
1/4 Teaspoon Ground Black Pepper
Dumplings
1/2 Cup Flour
1/3 Cup Cornmean
2 Tablespoon Parmesan Cheese
1 Tablespoon Parsley
1 Teaspoon Baking Powder
1/2 Teaspoon Salt
1 Egg
4 Tablespoon Milk
1 Bag Frozen Green Beans
Make sure to spray your slow cooker before you begin.  The hardest part of this for me what peeling the squash and then chopping it up.
Chop up the squash, mushrooms and garlic and add them to the slow cooker.
Next, mix in the beans, stewed tomatoes, water, seasoning and pepper.
I let this cook on low for 10 hours and then it sat on warm for 1.5 hours.
Mix together the flour, cornmeal, parmesan cheese, parsley, baking powder, salt, egg and milk.
Turn your slow cooker to high and stir in the green beans.  Then drop five mounds of the dumpling dough into the stew.  I meant to make six dumplings but I guess I got too excited when making it.  I adjusted the nutritional info to five servings.
Leave the cover on and let it cook for 50 minutes.  (I forgot to take the after picture of the whole meal)
This was great but I might try making more dumplings next time.  Also, the green beans were still kind of tough.  Maybe I will use canned or add them earlier.

Nutritional Info:
5 Servings
WW Points Plus: 6
Calories: 319
Carbs: 60
Fat: 5
Protein: 14

No comments:

Post a Comment