Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Jambalaya

I can't really recall a time when I have had Jambalaya but I thought I would stay in the festive Mardi Gras spirit and give it a try. Of couse I have never been a big fan of spicy food so I toned mine down a lot! I LOVED IT!!! I can't wait for a potluck party where I can make it again! :)
Ingredients:
1 Onion, chopped
2 Red Peppers, chopped
3 Carrots, chopped
3 Celery Stalks, chopped
4 Garlic Cloves, finely chopped
1 Jar Stewed Tomatoes
1 Cup Long Grain Brown Rice
1 Package Sausage **I chose mild because I am a wimp. If you want spicy and your store carries it you should try the andoulli sausage.** I was going to be gutsy but they didn't have it at my store.
1 Tablespoon Thyme
1 Teaspoon Salt
1/2 Teaspoon Pepper
2 Cups Water
3 Tablespoons Fresh Parsley
1 lb Shrimp

You can begin by chopping up all of the vegetables and galic and adding them to the slow cooker. I made mine into pretty big chucks so that I would have a better consistancy at the end.
It looks so pretty here! Then you can stir in the tomatoes, rice and sausage. First you want to cut the sausage into little chunks which was kind of tough with the casing on it. You could also remove the casing and roll them into little balls. Also, I am trying to make healthier dishes so I had meant to buy turkey sausage; however, with everyone looking for the andouille sausage I forgot and just grabbed regular. Switching to turkey would save you on a lot of fat in this recipe.
Now you can gently stir in the thyme, salt, pepper and water.
I cooked this on low for nine hours.
I get kind of nervous cooking with shrimp or seafood because we never really did it when I was growing up. So I made sure to buy the precooked frozen shrimp.
Mix in the shrimp and parsley.
Let this cook on low for one more hour.
I added more vegetables and made it into eight servings because the sausage was so high in fat.
This meal was so good! I don't think I would change anything about it next time.

Nutritional Info:
8 Servings
WW Points Plus: 8
Calories: 325
Fat: 16
Carbs: 23
Protein: 26

No comments:

Post a Comment