Friday, March 16, 2012

Corned Beef Sandwiches

I'm in the festive spirit. I decided to make corned beef sandwiches to celebrate. I've actually never had corned beef. I was a little nervous about how it would turn out... but I'm happy I did! FYI, corned beef is salt-cured. It is called "corned" because it used to be cured with grains of salt the size of a kernel of corn.

Ingredients: (Serves 8)
3lb Corned Beef Briskets with Spice Packets
12 oz Bottle of Beer
1 Bay Leaf
2 1/2 Tbsp Peppercorns
1/2 Bulb Garlic Cloves, separated and peeled
Rye Bread


Place the beef brisket in the slow cooker and top with 1 spice packet.


Put beer, a bay leaf, the peppercorns, and garlic in the slow cooker. Then fill the crock with water until the beef is covered by 1 inch.


Cover and cook on high for 1 hour. Then turn the slow cooker down to low and cook for 4 to 5 hours. I cooked mine for 4 hours total, and it was a little tough. I would suggest cooking it longer than 4 hours.


Use a spoon to push all of the garlic and peppercorns off the beef. Then move the beef to a cutting board.


Let it set for at least 5 minutes to cool. This will make it easier to slice. After at least 5 minutes, slice the beef thinly.


Dinner is served. :)


I served the corned beef sandwiches on Rye bread with provolone cheese, thousand island, and sauerkraut.


My parents, grandparents, and aunt were over to try the corned beef. They thought it was great! :D I definitely suggest making it for your St. Patrick's Day!

I was surprised about how low cal it was.

Nutritional Info: (4oz Corned Beef)
130 Calories
7g Fat
0g Fiber
16g Protein
0g Carbs
3 WW PointsPlus

No comments:

Post a Comment